Friday, October 19, 2012

day at the studio & vintage find




Worked this morning and then came by the studio to "work" until it's time to go to a dinner hangout this evening. I baked my own variation of the Smitten Kitchen Strawberry Summer cake last night. I added more butter, a whole stick instead of the called for 6tbs a suggestion by my friend who turned me onto the recipe. It was my second time to make it and this time I added blueberries. The juices from the combination of strawberries and blueberries made the cooking time run about 40min longer, but it ended up totally delectable. I'll be bringing it to the dinner tonight, to share the goodness of baked goods with fruit, my favorite. 

While driving home yesterday I was tempted to take a detour by the goodwill outlet center and sift through the blue tables piled with clothing. I found a turquoise 80's jumper, a sweater made in finland, 3 skirts, a shirt for Jamin, a silk shirt for me, a 90's vest, and this 80's top I got for the seashell buttons that decorated it all for a little over $5. After I had finished sifting through the outlet area I stepped over to the boutique side (normal goodwill) and was giddy excited to find this 50's baby pink cardigan with what I learned to be the Portland Country Club logo, found out with a little I-phone google action. The fact that it says portland makes it extra special to me because I have a slight obsession, longing to live in Oregon. I fell in love with it when I went to summer camp there when I was 13. It was a very memorable experience. Growing up in Texas left me with little to no experience with tall trees which I love and greenery and cool weather. So it holds a special place in my heart. I also really like the 50's native american summer camp emblem.  

The flowers can be seen from my studio window and just a few steps across the parking lot to photograph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment