Saturday, November 28, 2009

macadamia nut white chocolate cookie

I baked cookies with one of my sisters today to brake in my new hamilton beach mixer that I got for $17 +tax from Wal-Mart yesterday. It beats the $299 mixers at bed bath and beyond. Which I also went to and used a sweet $10 off $30 purchase to purchase a candy thermometer, grease splatter screen 3 set, tea leaves infuser, bread knife and a new small spray bottle. Happy Christmas to me, yay.

I got the recipe from the new cook book from better homes and gardens:

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
½ cup cornstarch
1 cup butter
½ cup chopped macadamia cuts
1 egg yoke
1 ½ tsp finely shredded orange peel
2 tbsp orange juice
(1 cup white chocolate chips)

Baking instructions:
1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, powdered sugar, and cornstarch. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (I melted the butter and poured it into the mixture and blended it) Stir in macadamia nuts. In a bowl combine egg yoke, orange peel, and orange juice. Add egg yoke mixture to flour mixture, stirring until moistened. (Add white chocolate chips to mixture.) Knead dough in bowl until it forms a ball. (I skipped the kneading into a ball step)

2. Shape dough into 1¼-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Dip the bottom of the glass in granulated sugar and flatten each ball to ¼-inch thickness. ( To get the sugar to stick to the glass I ran it under the faucet to wet it.)

3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are set and surfaces are dry. (In my electric oven at 12 min. I took the cookies out and flipped them and switched the sheet that was on the middle rack to the bottom rack and visa versa witch took 5 min and proceeded to cook them for another 7 min.) Transfer to wire rack; cool.

I thought the orange was a little strong maybe only one Tbsp of orange juice next time. They also seemed a dry which I’m not sure what to do about that, maybe some water or the whole egg? I would add more chocolate chips next time also. In all I thought they were lacking in taste and texture but my sister who loves white chocolate macadamia nut cookies loved them and took the whole batch home with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment